November Nutrition: Benefits of Fiber
November is nutrition month at Remember When Homecare. And keeping on our theme of a well-balanced diet, we're going to be talking about Fiber. Let our caregivers ensure you're getting the proper amount of dietary fiber in your daily diet, while at the same time ensuring you're getting your proper water consumption. There are many tasty recipes that our caregivers provide to ensure even the most discerning taste buds will be thoroughly satisfied.
Fiber is so important in our daily diets because as we age, we actually need to increase our fiber intake. Our metabolism slows down over time, which inherently leads to weight gain. By maintaining a fiber rich diet, we can help prevent putting on those extra pounds and avoiding more serious health concerns such as constipation, high blood sugar, and high cholesterol.
Specifically we're going to be looking at dietary fiber, which comes in two forms soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber dissolves in water and becomes gelatinous as it moves through your digestive tract sticking to bile, toxins, and other debris before getting rid of them from your body. Insoluble fiber absorbs water and acts like a sponge to clean and stimulate your intestine for regular bowel movements.
Recommended daily fiber intake, according to the Mayo Clinic:
· Women over 50: 21 grams of fiber in your daily diet.
· Men over 50: 30 grams of fiber in your daily diet.
Benefits of a high fiber diet:
· Reduction of bad cholesterol.
· Healthy levels of LDL and HDL.
· Healthy heart functions.
· Reduction of heart inflammation and hypertension.
Fiber rich foods for all appetites:
Broccoli; Squash; Prunes; Raspberries; Apples/Pears (unpeeled); Oranges; Legumes
Fiber rich recipes that our caregivers use when meal prepping for your loved ones:
1. Artichoke, Spinach and White Bean Dip: Artichoke, spinach and white bean dip - Mayo Clinic
2. Chicken and Zucchini Quesadilla: Chicken and zucchini quesadilla - Mayo Clinic
3. Strawberry Short Cake: Strawberry shortcake - Mayo Clinic
Remember When Homecare